Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Vinyl + Digital? Will it work?

So I know this is 4 days late, but I want to write about it, and also get some feedback to see what everyone thinks. As we all know by now, or most of us, Elvis Costello is giving the CD a no-go for his upcoming release "Momofuku", which releases next month, April 22nd.



Instead of the traditional ways of releasing a CD, Costello is releasing the album in the form of vinyl, and with that vinyl purchase you receive a digital download password of some sort. Should this work? I don't know, however I'm very curious to see how this plays out, especially since he's going to be on tour opening for The Police to promote this new album.

Again, it's an innovative way to keep selling music. I know I'll be buying one of these records, hopefully he'll look all goofy like he did 30 years ago with those pop bottle glasses on, dancing like the other Elvis. It will go perfect over the fireplace.

2 comments:

benjamin edgar said...

I think what Elvis is doing is brilliant! and will work very well. Vinyl is like a collectors piece. It's generally limited and very specialized. He is simply catering to the niche audience and the new technology world of downloads. On my last record "Issues to Egos" I dod something similar but released limited pressings of the hard copy CD and offered the digital version free.

benjamin edgar said...

This idea- which is starting to catch alot of steam- is a BIG deal. For people like myself who release a lot of vinyl and weird limited edition tapes and the like- Its a great way to let people have the best of both worlds. HOWEVER-
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE YOU CAN GET SOFTWARE TO DO THIS FOR YOU?

Sure you can pay United Pressing 400 dollars an album to hold the files for you but its stupid to pay that or what discrevolt does. Surley I can load this onto my website somehow? Any ideas- this site has it.
http://www.hobbledehoyrecords.com/vinylmp3/
but they had to hire a programmer.
....?
raphael www.freematterfortheblind.com