Monday, November 26, 2007

INDISTR 10! Interview with Ryan Horne!

This week I'd like to fill you in on a singer/songwriter hailing from Atlanta, GA. Ryan Horne, has just put out his 4th album. This has got to be one of the most motivated artist I've yet to encounter, don't believe me? Just go check his tour page. I've never seen this page with less than 20 scheduled shows at one time. Ryan continues to grow his music career and is by no means, slowing down. Enjoy!



1.Let’s start from the beginning, when and where did it all start? And with who?
Well, I picked up my first guitar when I was 16 so I guess it started there. That soon became a serious addiction for me, writing and playing. Always have loved to sing, so I put them together and it just began to work for me. All I have ever done is play music, so that makes it hard to say where it started because it has always been in me and it keeps growing over the years as I write better and play for more and more people. The fan base just keeps getting greater as the years and records come and go and the music industry slowly starts to become involved with what you are doing. You slowly tag on booking agencies, managers, whatever is needed to make a successful and long career.

2.If you had to describe your sound in one sentence, what would you say?
I like to call it folk/americana at its finest, but who am I to say what I sound like, I hear one thing and everyone else will hear another.

3.Name 3 artists that have inspired you as a musician.
Wow, that is so hard because there are so many great artists out there, but if I have to choose just 3, my picks go to Ryan Adams, Wilco, and Martin Sexton.

4.What do you see in the future for music, with all of the outlets available for exposure, along with the current Internet craze?
That is a tough question as well. The Internet has been a great thing for music but at the same time it has been a horrible thing for music in my opinion. The industry is now saturated with musicians, some good, some bad, and in a way it has become a somewhat of a joke. I do believe, however, that the true talent out there will succeed in the end with great careers, so it is a love/hate relationship as far as my take on the current Internet craze. As far as my career and its future, I hope and believe it will last quite a while. I have been surrounded by some very talented musicians and people and I continue to push myself to write better and better. I hope that I can keep making records that I believe in and as long as I keep putting out these type of records, I believe I can continue to write music that touches a life.

5.What can we expect to see from Ryan Horne in the next year? Any big plans?
Most can find me out on the road, playing shows all year long. I tend to travel quite a bit, maybe sometimes too much, but I truly love it. I just signed on with a new booking agency and that will only magnify the amount of traveling I will do to support my latest record ‘Love & War’ that I released in February. Also, I will surely be doing another record in the next year or so because I have been writing a lot lately and I am very happy with what is coming out.


6.What have you been listening to lately?
Lately, I have been listening to Patty Griffin, Wilco, Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams, Josh Ritter, Fionn Regan and Ben Lee. Most of these guys are kind of underground but they are amazing songwriters in my opinion and I can’t get enough of them.

7.Your thoughts on independent music and if it’s possible to be successful through these means of distribution?
I definitely believe you can be successful being an Independent artist. I actually believe that is where the music industry is headed and it may already be close to that point. With all the simple, easy means of distribution, promotion, booking, and recording, it seems anyone these days can put out a record, promote it and find success. Again, I jump back to my thoughts that only the true talent will be successful, but the means for someone to do this is readily available.

8.If we can’t find you playing a gig or practicing music, where might we expect to find you?
Driving on some random highway. Seriously, if I sit in one place too long, I will run to my car and travel somewhere. I hate staying in one place, so when I have a little break from music traveling, I will do my own traveling for vacation purposes and what not.

9.How many shows do you play a year? What’s the atmosphere typically like?
That is so hard to say, but I probably play close to 120 shows a year. I would play every single day if I could, but that may kill me. As far as a typical atmosphere, my music is very songwriter friendly, so I tend to play very intimate venues where people come and listen to music in a relaxing environment.

10.Lastly, your thoughts on INDISTR.COM?
I think this is a great concept to have especially being an independent musician. The more sites like this the better chance to succeed in such a talented music industry.

No comments: