Wednesday, February 13, 2008

INDISTR 10! Interview with Derek "Dminor" Young!

Derek "Dminor" Young resides in sunny California and has a portfolio of beat-making which includes work for clients such as:
Othello, Supastition, Styles of Beyond, Lovespirals, Muneshine, Emilio "Raks One" Rojas, MF Grimm, Louis Logic, and many more. Dminor also runs www.waxreform.com out of Los Angeles, CA. Be on the lookout for some great production from him in 2008.






1.Let’s start from the beginning, when and where did it all start? And with who?
I started my professional recording career at 7 years of age. I used to do local talent shows and an agent saw me perform and immediately got me a gig with companies like Disney, Warner Bros., and others.

2.If you had to describe your sound in one sentence, what would you say?
I love Hip-Hop and Soul music. This is the byproduct of that.

3.Name 3 artists that have inspired you as a musician.
Stevie Wonder, J Dilla, Marvin Gaye

4.What do you see in the future for music, with all of the outlets available for exposure, along with the current Internet craze?
Music will be free. People have become so accustomed to downloading music illegally that there will have to be a complete change of business or change in the way people listen to music before consumers will start paying for it again. In the meantime, artists trying to catch a break should focus on songwriting. It’s easier to get a royalty check if you wrote that hit song.

5.What can we expect to see from DMinor in 2008? Any big plans?
Hopefully the completion of my full length, Supreme Goodie. Additionally, my production team, Wax Reform, will be releasing a digital EP. Production from Illmind, M-Phazes and Presto, vocals from myself, Muneshine, and Emilio Rojas.

6.What has DMinor been listening to lately?
I’ve been spending far too much time picking apart J Dilla’s “Donuts”. He was obviously a huge source of inspiration for me as a producer and I really study how he’s made records over the years. Now that he’s gone, I feel a bit like a student without a teacher.

7.Your thoughts on independent music and if it’s possible to be successful through these means of distribution?
Independent music is where it’s at! I think there will always be people who want to experience the unwrapping of a CD, the reading of liner notes, and the sharing of music with their peers. Especially if they found a new artist that none of their friends have ever heard of.

The real question is how do you personally measure success? Are you successful if you sell 1000 CDs? 100 CDs? 10 CDs?

It’s a question that each of us need to ask ourselves. I think artists can make decent money, and live off their music. But it only lasts for so long.

The biggest problem that indie artists have is that they are unable to promote themselves outside of their area. So while you may be big in Los Angeles, no one knows your name in Nevada or Arizona.

8.If we can’t find you playing a gig or practicing music, where might we expect to find you?
I’ve featured on other peoples songs more than anything else this past year. So you can find me doing that while you wait for my new joint. A few notables, “Silhouette” by Othello, “Imagine That” by Muneshine (prod. by Pete Rock).

9.How many shows do you play a year? What’s the atmosphere typically like?
Zero. I hate doing shows, with a passion. My perfectionist complex really kicks in when I perform live. There’s too many variables, too many things that could go wrong, so I try to not do gigs anywhere.

The last show I did was in London at the Tin Room…it was a tough crowd. I just got the impression that they weren’t feeling me, but then realized that UK audiences hold their applause until the end of your set. Ha!

10.Lastly, your thoughts on INDISTR.COM?
I think it’s a great spot for people to get some recognition for their craft. I’m glad you guys dig what I do. It’s important for artists to feel appreciated, and you’ve done that.

No comments: