Monday, January 7, 2008

More Reggae = More better! INDISTR 10! Interview with Badda Skat!!

Hailing from St. Petersburg, FL, I'd like to introduce some INDISTR fans to Badda Skat. Don't get it twisted though, you can catch Badda Skat from New York to California, playing numerous shows a year and always on the grind. It's refreshing to catch some reggae jams especially with a cold case of the winter blues! Badda Skat is sure to make moves in 2008, be on the lookout!!





1.Let’s start from the beginning, when and where did it all start? And with who?
I was 9 years old, walking down Duval St. in Key West, when I heard this amazingly strange sound come from a street-side gift shop. I followed my ears, dragging my mother to the origin of this wonder. On a small 12-inch television screen, I saw the video for Shabba Ranks’ massive tune “Ting a Ling.” I was captivated from that point on. I surrounded myself with reggae music and soaked up as much of the culture and lifestyle that I could get my hands on. This sparked the manifestation of Rastafari within myself and thus my focus became on promoting conscious creations to the fullest. I wrote my first song in 2000 when I was 18 years old. It was at that point my mission became clear and the focus on consciousness with righteous lyrical content became the cornerstone. I am but an instrument of the Almighty I Jah Rastafari, and feel it’s my duty to put forth uplifting messages to the masses.

2.If you had to describe your sound in one sentence, what would you say?
A versatile blend of reggae, roots, and dancehall embedded with consciousness throughout. Rastafari.

3.Name 3 artists that have inspired you as a musician.
Sizzla, Tony Rebel, Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley

4.What do you see in the future for music, with all of the outlets available for exposure, along with the current Internet craze?
I see music returning to the artist, and thus returning to the people. Artists are going to have to go back to performing to survive, which will both increase the quality of the music and the message within. Classic modes of music distribution are becoming more and more obsolete with digital advances, which also make record companies obsolete as well. The internet gives artists the ability to be increasingly more independent and successful, being able to record, create and distribute their own music without the help of conventional “teams” of people behind them. The people are what matter most anyway, so why shouldn’t the artist have full control of how they reach these people?

5.What can we expect to see from Badda Skat the next year? Any big plans?
I’m always working on new stuff, so you can expect anything to pop up at any time. I’m currently working on the dub version of GRASS ROOTS which should be done shortly. Music video plans are in the works for a couple tracks at the moment. New tours and travels are also panning out. Stay connected to www.baddaskat.com for the latest.

6.What has Badda Skat been listening to lately?
Anthony B – “Higher Meditation,” Jr. Gong – “One Loaf of Bread/Gang War Riddim,” plus a ton of new riddims that will be voiced soon too.

7.Your thoughts on independent music and if it’s possible to be successful through these means of distribution?
Of course it is possible. I see independent musicians being successful everyday. To me, all it takes is not working a 9-5 and being able to live comfortably to be successful.

8.If we can’t find you playing a gig or practicing music, where might we expect to find you?
I’m usually working, I currently hold two jobs for about 50-60 hours a week. But if not, I’ll be at home with my Empress and my two dogs Duppy and Kahlua. My next favorite place is the studio. You can always find me there.

9.How many shows do you play a year? What’s the atmosphere typically like?
I’ve only been performing since Feb. 06, and I’ve done about 100 shows give or take. The atmosphere varies from venue to venue but the reaction is usually the same. I do my best to captivate the crowd so that you can’t sit around and have a conversation during my set. Again, it is my duty to put forth a conscious message to the people that take the time to listen to my works. If you come out to see a show, you will be sure to get truth, energy, upful content, and no slackness. Rastafari.

10.Lastly, your thoughts on INDISTR.COM?
The completely independent appeal of INDISTR.COM is amazing. The ease of use, instant payment, artist price control, and flexibility are all examples of the many advantages INDISTR.COM gives to the independent musician. Give thanks and praise for what you do. Rastafari.

3 comments:

benjamin edgar said...

Badda Skat is one of my FAVORITE artists. His shows provide such an amazing energy. Noone is able to stand still!! Thank you for the interview!

benjamin edgar said...

Very cool music, good interview. I love hearing about "where it all started" from all of the different artists— and this one is a particularly memorable answer.

benjamin edgar said...

This bredrin plays the highest grade of reggae music. Seriously, check his tunes and check the lyrics too...they'll blow your mind. Not only is his music upful and rightious so is his day to day life. Big up Badda Skat to the fullest.
Rastafari